[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Knights of Reason - Forums • View topic - X-COM: UFO Defence
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

X-COM: UFO Defence

<<

Poggins

Former Core Member
Former Core Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:58 pm

X-COM: UFO Defence

Lately, I've been playing a LOT of X-COM (Sleep?! No! I can't play X-COM while i'm asleep!)

I'm willing to bet some of you have heard about x-com (Because I've found myself going on and on about it in game, sorry >_>).

WHAT IS X-COM?!
X-COM is a turn based strategy game, where you fight ALIEUNZ. Gameplay is sort of like FF: Tactics, Ogre tactics, Disgaea, and the like. What makes X-COM so freaking fun, is the depth of it. You control the group known as X-COM (Extra Terrestrial Combat Unit) to fight the alien menace and save THE WORLD OMG. The game consists of two parts. The GeoScape, and the BattleScape.

In the GeoScape, you have a bird's eye view (Or a satellite's view, or something. Iono.) of our blue planet. Here you can manage your numerous bases, soldiers, scientists, engineers, and blah blah blah dedicated to fighting the alien invasion and saving the human race. You can also view where all the alien activity is here. There's some graphs showing you where the most aliens are, and you can see the UFOs flying around the world.

In the BattleScape, you deploy your well armed soldiers (You DID research advanced weapons with your scientists and manufacture them with your engineers, right? No? Well. You did research some sort of armor, right? No? Then you don't have soldiers. You have alien fodder.) to combat the alien menace.

It's a pretty straightforward concept (Make base. Put soldiers in base. Shoot down alienz with your ships. Send soldiers to UFO crash site, kill all aliens, and repeat.)

There's alot more to it than that, but I'll let you find out about it for yourself >:). Buy it on steam for like 5 bucks, or pirate it, whatever. This game is a must play for fans of strategy and challenge :D.

Courtesy of Flakes
-=-We pwn Catz!-=-

Want to join us? >>> <<<

CaTPwnZorZ:
Nazgul
Flakes
Metal
Deathbread
Poggy

I agree with everything that Aaron says. *Hops onto the bandwagon*
Flakes rocks my socks :D
<<

Nazgul

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:30 am

Re: X-COM: UFO Defence

Sounds sweet. I'll check it out :D

EDIT: Hey, there are a few others, like expansions, do you know if they are any good?
<<

ILikeMilk

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:00 am

so um what is it?
a downloadable game?
or do i have to go buy it from a shop?
<<

Nazgul

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:03 am

You can buy it from Steam, which is an online game store.
<<

Poggins

Former Core Member
Former Core Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:04 pm

OR. You can do what I did. Just google X-COM download or pirate it or something :o.

There are a few sequels, but I hear they're pretty much the same thing, only with DIFFERENT ALIENZ. They may be worth checking out, but I don't know.

Courtesy of Flakes
-=-We pwn Catz!-=-

Want to join us? >>> <<<

CaTPwnZorZ:
Nazgul
Flakes
Metal
Deathbread
Poggy

<<

Nazgul

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:59 pm

Ok, I just downloaded it. Installing...

EDIT: Playing, I have no clue what to do, or whats going on, hehe, help me out.
<<

Poggins

Former Core Member
Former Core Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:01 pm

Haha, yeeeaaah. That's how I spent my first few hours on the game.

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?titl ... ganization

You'll want to take a second or two skimming through this page.

The main thing you have to know:

-You have soldiers. These doods are fragile. You'll be losing a lot. Make sure you always have enough soldiers. The maximum you can have per mission is 14. Make sure there are enough weapons/supplies for each on in the skyranger.

-The skyranger. Your soldiers go in here, along with all weapons and equipment. To manage the things in your skyranger, select the base tab on the geoscape, and then select the "Equip Craft" tab. You can load items onto the ship or take them off. You can only have 80 items on your skyranger, so make sure you don't overstock on needless stuff. Don't want to attack an alien base with 80 rifle clips but no rifles, right?

-The Interceptor (and bringing down alien ships for you to send your soldiers to!). When you see a UFO pop up around your base, it's generally a good idea to send your fightercraft to bring it down to the ground, so you can deploy your troops to the crash site and kill the aliens. To do this, select the "Intercept" tab on the geoscape, and choose the craft you want to attack the UFO. Then select the target for your fightercraft and shoot down the UFO! There are several different weapons for the fighter crafts, (from weakest to strongest) cannons, stinger missles, avalanche missles, plasma beams (Needs research) and more. There are a few modes of attack when fighting in the air. Cautious, which has the most range, but does the least damage and makes your fighter craft retreat when hit. Standard, which is...uh...a balanced mode with modest range and power, and then there's agressive. In agressive, you do the most damage, but with minimal range.

-The staff. You have scientists and engineers. Scientists research several things, from weapons and armor, to the alien corpses. If you have the right things researched, you can research new weapons, new spacecraft, new armor, medikits, and some more stuff. Engineers are the people you can assign to build all this stuff.

-Base management. Your base has a limit of how many soldiers, scientists, engineers, and items. Living quarters raise the limit on soldiers scientists and engineers, and general stores raise the limit on items.

Sounds like a lot, I know, but it's actually quite simple once you get the hang of things :D>

Courtesy of Flakes
-=-We pwn Catz!-=-

Want to join us? >>> <<<

CaTPwnZorZ:
Nazgul
Flakes
Metal
Deathbread
Poggy

<<

-DS-

Core Global Moderator
Core Global Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:19 pm

Another game, that seems similar, but with armies, Kind of, is It's a fun game, but gets old after a while. Then after maybe a month, you get back into it. It's an on off game, but that depends on if you like it or not. Seemed fun to me.

-DS-

<<

Nazgul

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:33 am

I like X-COM better than that game, DS. Thanks Poggy for that link and the help, I really appreciate it.

I seem to start getting a hang of it now.
<<

Poggins

Former Core Member
Former Core Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:00 pm

8-)

No problem Naz! The game is veeerry overwhelming at first, what with it just plopping you in the middle of an alien invasion and not telling you anything about anything.

EDIT: Naz! I forgot to say anything about all the (For lack of a better word, we shall dub them...buttons.) buttons on the battlescape! http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Battlescape (Go down to the Battlescape Interface section for a brief explanation on each button.)

The first time I played xcom, I took a look at all the buttons. I said "What the hell is that?! aghrhrhghgh" and I exited the game. I was completely overwhelmed (Haha, not really. Just...lazy.). I've gotten used to them now, and knowing what each button does helps a lot in the long run.

Courtesy of Flakes
-=-We pwn Catz!-=-

Want to join us? >>> <<<

CaTPwnZorZ:
Nazgul
Flakes
Metal
Deathbread
Poggy

Return to Games