[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Knights of Reason - Forums • View topic - Half Life (preferrably the first 2)
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Half Life (preferrably the first 2)

<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:03 pm

Half Life (preferrably the first 2)

Well, they support multiplayer functionality, but aren't MP games themselves. By the title, I'd preferrably like discussion from people who play the first 2: GOTY (orange box), Opposing Force (green box).

As I have not played Blue Shift or any of the newer ones, i.e. Half Life 2 and both episodes, I'd like it if those who do would reveal as little as possible, to reduce the chances of spoilers (I intend to play them later, when I have the money).
Come check out my stuff if you want. Love to hear back from people.
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Re: Half Life (preferrably the first 2)

I've never played Half Life, but I've seen vids of it and heard good things about it.
I also watched a few videos about the history of Valve software. Parts , , , , , and
Really cool series. It tells the history of Valve software. Although it's more about Half-Life and how they developed it.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:44 pm

Grammar lesson!

If a sentence is started with the word "although", and you are using it in a simple sentence, then there needs to be a comma after it.

For example, it wouldn't be, "Although it's more about Half-Life and how they developed it."

It would, instead, be, "Although, it's more about Half-Life and how they developed it."

Now that that's out of the way... you should at least get a demo of a Half-Life game. They are awesome, especially the first few, considering the fact that, these days, they have terrible graphics, they also have a STORY LINE!

Woah... a game with a story line?! These days, people might look at you funny and go "Huh?"

Exactly.
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

Robmanx

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

Post Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:30 pm

<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:39 pm

I like a storyline in my games. I'd prefer games that have deep, engaging storylines, and a moving soundtrack. Like a movie-game. Halo preforms this quite well, that's why I like it. That's probably why I've logged more hours reading the Halo books than I have playing the actual game.

Also, I'm not sure that half-life would work on my computer >.<
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:37 pm

Why not? It doesn't require the latest computer build; it was made at least 12 years ago, I believe.

<<

ILikeMilk

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:34 am

i played the original HL on Ps2.
i dont think i completed it, but it was kinda fun.
it did get kinda boring when most of the "puzzles" were just going and pushing a button.
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:55 am

lols I can't believe I forgot about ! That show is just epic.

Maybe I will be able to play it, idk. I might try it some time.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:27 pm

<<

Faced00d

Former Core Member
Former Core Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:17 am

Preferred Portal.
Half life was ok, game play was kind of stiff and due to the way they inserted the talking you could miss chunks of the story if that bitch runs off (like she always did) which is a MAJOR draw back in my opinion.
For me the single most important part of the game is story, followed IMMIDIATLY by game play.
Half life was an ok game with a good story, but certain game elements detracted from the story.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:37 am

What do you mean "the bitch ran away like she always does"? I don't understand.

<<

ThePaleRecluse

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Like, when she was spouting off plot points while she's running, and you happen to get kneecapped. You were stuck behind whilst she ran out of earshot on her scripted path, yammering on about destroying this objective and saving these civilians.

As far as I remember, thats what my experience with Half Life was. @_@
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:37 pm

Wait... are you talking about Half Life 2?

Please, do not reveal too much; I'd still like to play the newer ones, and if you reveal too much about it, it'd ruin the whole experience.

<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:02 pm

Haha, this was hilarious. I was watching Freeman's Mind, and got to about ep. 7 before my dad came by at 10:30. Normally, he'd tell me to go to bed, but instead, when he left to use the bathroom, he said to me "Pause it when it finishes loading."

HAHAHAHA

<<

Faced00d

Former Core Member
Former Core Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:27 am

Voss... brofist.
Yes I was speaking of halflife 2, which by the way is in no way a new game :p
And neither of us were revealing much as you will find out. There is one specific instance of the story though that I will both reveal and complain about now.

THEY SAVED MY FUCKING CROWBAR BUT DON'T GIVE ME A GUN.

Return to Games