[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Knights of Reason - Forums • View topic - Game Programming
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Game Programming

Forum rules
No Tremulous posts
<<

Monk

Former Core Member
Former Core Member

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:05 pm

Game Programming

Here are some game prototype projects I've been working on for the past couple of weeks. They are just simple games right now. I've been using unity since its free to use and has no royalties, but I might look into getting into unreal engine 4 soon. After graduating with a B.S. double major in Computer Science and Math, I thought it would be easy to find a job. I'm still out of work so I decided to look into.

http://mmercer88.github.io/Block-Breaker/

http://mmercer88.github.io/Laser-Defender/
<<

Alex

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:40 pm

Re: Game Programming

Nices games! Though with Block Breaker, the ball sometimes gets stuck at the right or left edge of the screen :)
Care to make an app for Android? I'd surely play it all the time lol

Maybe make it possible so that you can tilt the board to the right/left a bit? Or some kind of bounce three times each level or something.
<<

Monk

Former Core Member
Former Core Member

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:34 pm

There was a small change to the velocity in a random direction that was supposed to keep that from happening. I increased the random number range so that shouldn't happen anymore.

The thing about making apps though is that I can only use free to use assets right now. I know a guy that said he could provide music, but I don't know any artists. I can't even draw stick figures accurately.
<<

Alex

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Ok :) be sure to tell me when you make one haha!
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Man, Space Invaders ain't got nothing on Laser Defender!
My top score is 11100. Probably not that high but it was fun!

Cool to see you again Monk. Stick around for a while :)
<<

ViruS

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:01 am

Haven't seen you in a while monk.
*sits back while the page loads*

you forgot to trottle the fire button. Button mashing the spacebar was more efficient than holding it down
second attempt:Image
(first attempt was used to figure out the controls)

also after a while I figured out it was a lot more efficient to sit still at the center of the screen and only dodge when necessary. That way you get free kills for a fairly easy score.
ImageImageImage
| for 1.1
(when adding me, state your forum/tremulous username) | Games: Paladins, NS2, Reflex, Quake Live, War Thunder, Rise of Flight, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad
Non-Steam: BF3, Tremulous
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:59 pm

New score, 38550 :D
<<

Monk

Former Core Member
Former Core Member

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:46 am

I'm working on a plants vs. zombies esque game next. I'll let you guys know when I'm done.
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:33 pm

I love that game! :D
You could totally turn these into self-published materials and make some money off of them, Man. I'll help you market it :P
<<

Monk

Former Core Member
Former Core Member

Post Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:15 pm

Sorry this took so long. I'm still trying to find a job opportunity.

https://mmercer88.github.io/Glitch-Garden/
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Pretty fun. I couldn't make it past the third level. It got pretty tough.
Here are my initial thoughts (I'll try to keep them constructive:)

The music has some balance issues. It was really loud.
It's tough to find a balance between income of points and towers you can build. I felt like it was either overkill because I survived with good investment, or I didn't start with enough to defend myself.

Keep working hard to find a job! You'll get there. Don't give up :)
<<

Monk

Former Core Member
Former Core Member

Post Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:08 pm

There is a volume slider on the options menu although it is bugged at the moment. I set the volume to max at the start or else the game would always start with the sound turned all the way down.

And yes I know about that problem, I had the same problem getting through the levels. My friends suggested I put in health bars for the plants since it is unclear how long they will last at the moment. There are only 3 levels so you actually almost beat it,

Return to General