[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Knights of Reason - Forums • View topic - Car Shopping
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Car Shopping

Forum rules
No Tremulous posts
<<

Monk

Former Core Member
Former Core Member

Post Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:04 pm

Car Shopping

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice on what car to get. I'm not really looking into getting a used car unless it has really low milage and is a good deal compared to buying the car new. I wan't to save up some cash to just buy the car outright because I don't need anymore loans in my life right now. I am not looking for a lease. I'm looking into getting a subcompact hatchback. Here are the models that I have narrowed it down to. The base models for two of them come with manual transmissions. While I am able to drive using that I would much rather have an automatic. In this case all these cars would have cvt's. The MSRP's I list will have the cost of the cvt added.

1. Nissan Versa Note
MSRP:15,480
Standard Features
31/40 MPG City/Highway
Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System
60/40 split fold-down rear seats
power outside mirrors

The versa is made to be an affordable car. However, this also means that some of the features will need to be added on in order to even compare to the other choices and by that point it is more expensive.

2. Honda Fit
MSRP:$16,790
Standard Features
33 / 40 MPG City/Highway
Bluetooth® Streaming Audio
2nd-Row Magic Seat
Multi-Angle Rearview Camera* with Guidelines
Multi-Reflector Halogen Headlights with Auto-On/Off
Power Side Mirrors
Cruise Control
Tilt and Telescopic Steering Column
Cargo Area Light
5-Inch Color LCD Screen

This car has had some great reviews and has some great standard features.

3. Toyota Prius C
MSRP:$19,560
Standard Features
53/46 MPG City/Highway
Power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators
Automatic climate control
bluetooth
Tilt/telescopic steering wheel with steering wheel controls
Remote keyless entry system with illuminated entry
Power windows with driver-side one-touch auto up/down

With this being a hybrid, the MPG is very nice. The problem that I have this this car is that I would really want the more expensive model that starts at around $24,000.Although that is going off of the current 2016 model. The other two cars are 2017 models so the features might change by the time I am able to buy it anyways.
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:58 pm

Re: Car Shopping

You mentioned you're not interested in used cars unless you get a good deal. Most used cars are far better deals compared to a new one. Think about it: you can buy 2-4 used cars for the price of one new car. Not all used cars are beat up, broken pieces of crap. Some of them were genuinely taken care of by their owners and will last as long as you take care of them. Just do your research and you'll be fine.
I personally will likely never buy a new car (unless I am very well off) because it instantly depreciates in value the second you buy it. It's a significant chunk of change that you'll drop, just for it to have ~40-60k less miles on it.

All that being said, if you are still certain you want to buy new:

You'll want to consider the cost of owning in addition to the MSRP. is a fantastic source for calculating the 5 year cost to own the car.

I'd go with a Toyota or Honda over a Nissan any day. They're brands that are well known for their reliability. Plus, it seems like they have better features for you.

I'd eliminate any "features" that are usually pretty standard on new cars, such as:
Power steering, power windows, power mirrors, cruise control, etc.
Those are not selling points of a car, because they all have them. They don't set the cars apart in any meaningful way.

Also consider your buying goals. A friend of mine gave me this advice:
Write a list of all the features or capabilities you want. Then divide them into categories:
Absolutely need, would definitely like, and luxury items that you don't really need.
Then consider the cost of the car compared to the features. Luxury items should weigh less. IE, automatic climate control is nice, but do the other cars still have climate control? Yes. So this probably shouldn't be a major point.
Do you ever need to drive more than 2 people (including yourself?) If not, space may not be a big deal for you.
Bluetooth is really nice to have.

Have you posted on Reddit about it? They give some good advice sometimes.
<<

Rev

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:07 am

Re: Car Shopping

Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

Return to General