[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Knights of Reason - Forums • View topic - Which Language is More Complex?
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Which Language is More Complex?

Forum rules
Do NOT flame, troll, or otherwise harass other users. This forum is heavily moderated. Posts that violate these rules will be deleted with a warning.
<<

QweefZilLa

Slightly Less Grangers Than Stewie

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:34 pm

Which Language is More Complex?

which language do you guys think is more complex, English or German?
discuss
<<

ILikeMilk

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Which is a more complex language English or German ?

Ermalish.

lol. most of us can't say anything coz most of us don't know german.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:22 pm

English.

German may have masculine, feminine, and neuter genders, but so does Spanish. German letters are always pronounced the same (ä will always be pronounced like "eh," o with umlaut will always be pronounced like a light "er" or "ur," u with umlaut will always be pronounced like "oo"), where as in English letters constantly change sounds. "Constantly Change." CON-STANT(As in Stanley)-LY(As in LEE), CH-A(As in Range)-NGE. The "a" in constantly is pronounced differently than the "a" in change.
Come check out my stuff if you want. Love to hear back from people.
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:59 pm

<<

Axis

Core Global Moderator
Core Global Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:21 pm

Re: Which Language is More Complex?

I don't know German, so i can't exactly say, but English has by far the most words of any language. Plus it's got all those annoying stupid rules that no one pays attention to.
<<

KingNickolas

Spamming Granger
Spamming Granger

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:23 pm

English.

It has masculine and feminine words too. It's just that they vary by culture, as well as the number of words used in english. There are english words out there that NOBODY knows except for the select few people who live in the region. Since nearly EVERYBODY around the globe speaks english, there is obviously more lingo.

I'm not saying that german is harder in that aspect, there will always be lingo wherever you go, but english will always have more lingo. Thus, it's harder to learn english since it has more words.

Then again, NON of use have actually LEARNED english before as a second language. So we really can't say.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 600 character limit.
<<

QweefZilLa

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:45 pm

<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:59 pm

<<

kroati

Regular Granger
Regular Granger

Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:47 pm

Well, to me English and German are both second languages, with Italian being the third one, so yay, i get to be the one who will make the conclusion. :D

Too bad im in a hurry atm, so ill have to write my 0.02$ later.
<<

Alex

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:12 am

<<

mrgun99

Unidentified Granger
Unidentified Granger

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:25 am

german is more complex just cuz i say so in chat! :D
<<

Aaron5367

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:33 am

<<

KingNickolas

Spamming Granger
Spamming Granger

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:47 pm

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 600 character limit.
<<

Axis

Core Global Moderator
Core Global Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:14 pm

<<

kroati

Regular Granger
Regular Granger

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:19 pm

Damn, forgot this.
You cant decide which language is more complex just by comparing the amount of words that exist in each language.
How hard/complex a language is depends (for me) on:

How it uses the tenses (and the amount of them)-
German wins in simplicity here. Less tenses, and the fuckups with them. You know, present-perfect or past simple and so on.

How many word order rules exist, any additional stuff that goes with nouns (like declension, gram. genders etc.)-
This is a tight one, as English wins by having less of that, BUT German can be more definite about some things.

How adjectives change and similar things-
Its a tie here, at least i dont see any difference.

How words/syllables behave when written and spoken-
Germans is a clear winner here.

And really (if not the most) important is how many non literal meanings of the same stuff exist (phrases and similar).
-Not sure, could be a tie.

Oh, and the exceptions for some cases in the grammar. The more of them exist the more complex the language is.

A bit of my bio on lang. learning-
Self-learnt German by TV for 6-7 years (to age of 10?), becomes primary language in elementary school from the 4th grade to 8th (5 years), now secondary (maybe even tertiary) from the 2nd class, now 3rd class of middle school. Nearly perfect usage of it. I could use it as a primary language with almost no problems.
Self-learnt English by PC from the 3rd or 4th class in elementary school (to the age of 11?), becomes secondary language from the 5th to 8th grade, is primary from the 1st grade of middle school. Almost fluent comprehension, a bit fucked up speaking (the R is a pain in the ass).
Latin in the 1st and 2nd grade in middle school. Fuck yeah. Speaking/using it. Lol.
Italians from the 1st grade in middle school to now. I still barely understand it.

My mother tongue is Croatian, so yay! With Serbian, Polish and Czech/Slovakian its one of the damn hard languages to learn before Japanese, Chinese, Arabic and Hungarian/Finnish.

P.S.
We have a school system of 8 years of elementary school, then 4 years of middle school (or 3, depends if you pick a vocational school), which is equivalent to an american high school. After that follows college.

Return to Debates