[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Knights of Reason - Forums • View topic - Importance of Higher Mathematics
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Importance of Higher Mathematics

Forum rules
Do NOT flame, troll, or otherwise harass other users. This forum is heavily moderated. Posts that violate these rules will be deleted with a warning.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:11 pm

Re: Importance of Higher Mathematics

Well, how my school does it is: Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, CHOICE OF Trigonometry - Calculus without limits AB - Statistics - Discreet Math.

The chances of getting anything past Trigonometry at my school depends on whether or not you are in the "Advanced Placement" (AP) program or not. I'm a Junior taking Trig with Seniors, and I'm sure I'll be stuck in some Calculus class.
Come check out my stuff if you want. Love to hear back from people.
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

Aaron5367

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:18 pm

Right, I doubled up two years. I took classes with seniors every year, believe it or not.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:20 pm

Huh. Well, now that Awoo has thrown out his mathematical upbringing, I will now go to my corner.
Come check out my stuff if you want. Love to hear back from people.
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

Tojimaru

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:53 pm

I never had to contemplate the importance of math because it always came easy to me. I always just assumed it would be useful someday, so for now idk.
[19:57] <+tojimaru> omg, you guys
[19:57] <+tojimaru> if Stewah leaves, we can take over the channel!
[19:57] * You were kicked by Stewah (bitch don't say shit like that!)
<<

lae

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:35 pm

toji...maru...

DAFUQMAN?

lae@rizon/freenode
<<

Tojimaru

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:30 pm

[19:57] <+tojimaru> omg, you guys
[19:57] <+tojimaru> if Stewah leaves, we can take over the channel!
[19:57] * You were kicked by Stewah (bitch don't say shit like that!)
<<

AsterisK

Core Global Moderator
Core Global Moderator

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:31 pm

I'm always interested in learning things and furthering my own knowledge, but the current school system plays against the way I learn. This system of testing and forcing connections doesn't further my knowledge.

I'm the strongest in Math and English courses, but only in specific ways. I'm very strong with grammar, but I would be hard pressed to be able to describe what most parts of a sentence is. Math is a mixed bag for me. I rarely truly learn things the first time around, but those concepts come very easily once I have to use them for a more advanced concept.

Foreign Languages are by far the most difficult subjects for me, but that's primarily based on the way they were taught here. The general gist of it was that we had a list of words in english and their spanish counterpart, then we had to memorize them within a week or so and were quizzed over them. Grammar elements and tenses were mixed in somewhere down the road.

The issue in my case is that the current system seems to be more towards pushing facts than anything else. This is fine for some people, which is obviously why it's still being used, but it would be more usable for me if those facts have grounds to stand on. If I see no real context for those facts or any reason that it would be useful in any case, then I simply gloss over it. Flat memorization does not work for me, and the times I have truly excelled in a course was when memorization was close to a non-factor.

I guess what I'm arguing here is that I don't believe any issue with the school system is related to content or relative importance. I believe the issue is that schools currently aren't flexible enough to effectively teach students that don't learn well from the standard style.
Previous

Return to Debates