[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Knights of Reason - Forums • View topic - Policy Debate
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Policy Debate

Forum rules
Do NOT flame, troll, or otherwise harass other users. This forum is heavily moderated. Posts that violate these rules will be deleted with a warning.
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Policy Debate

Hi guys,

So as you may or may not know, I've recently been taking debate classes for my first semester in school this year, and I find them quite interesting.
I've been looking for a good place to practice debate, and then I figured "Hey, maybe people who post in the debates section of the KoR forums would be interested in doing 1v1/2v2 policy debates!".
So, what do you guys think? Would you be interested in doing a more structured version of what's already going on in these threads, with 2 people or more debating a subject and then being voted on who won by everyone else in the forum?
I personally would love this, I feel it would raise the intellect of everyone on the forum, and it'd be a great way to form friendships and get to know the other members of KoR.

If I had to, I could prepare teams and/or a resolution for us to debate.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Policy Debate

The prospect sounds intriguing, aided by the fact that a group of my friends and I sit at the lunch table and discuss/debate various things (from whether or not jalapeno ranch makes everything taste better to which country we (our group) should conquer first to serious topics like politics (we mostly just poke fun at everything to be honest). However, I'm not sure I would actively contribute, despite my interest, and due to this I'd have to refrain from partaking in this activity, if only for the time being.

Sounds good, though.
Come check out my stuff if you want. Love to hear back from people.
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Actually Voss, if you'd like I could give you the basic ideas of it and teach you. No better way to learn than doing, right?
<<

Shadow

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:04 pm

After taking debate for four years I would like to remove myself from the list of possible people, four years was enough for me.

I wouldn't mind judging though
Image Image
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Come check out my stuff if you want. Love to hear back from people.
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

Nazgul

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:53 pm

I wouldn't mind debating.

But I think having voting is a bad idea in debates.
<<

Fox_One

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, ~7.6 kiloparsecs from galactic center

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:06 am

I've been worrying
- that my time is a little unclear
I've been worrying
- that I'm losing the ones I hold dear
I've been worrying
- that we all
- - live our lives
- - - in the confines of fear
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:10 am

<<

Shadow

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:33 am

Well that proves it, you are doing the same debates that I did.

I would definitely like to be on the judging team for these, This would be a chance for me to break out my old debate books!

Also, fox, if I recall correctly, these debates actually did help me and some friends get to know each other better, so while I do think that the chances of that actually happening here is slim, there still is the chance for that.
Image Image
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:53 am

I was hoping we were talking about the same type of Policy Debate, Shadow. It'd be kinda awkward if we weren't, lol.

I'd say right now, you're probably the most qualified judge who's taken interest in this thread, because of your experience with debating.

I too, have formed friendships through debating, both on my team and on the opposing team as well.
It's all about sportsmanship and etiquette, like in any competition. If you're a total jerk about winning or losing, people won't want to be your friend. But if you're kind and congratulate or thank the other team for winning/competing, then friendships will probably be formed or strengthened.

Plus, it'd be nice to actually have an active place on this forum where we can discuss or argue intellectual things, and would be a good change from the thoughtless posting in other areas. Who knows, it might even help us improve ourselves.
<<

Aaron5367

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:58 am

If I can get off topic before we start this one, I have something short to add to Fox and Metroidude. There's a sort of... brawl that went on where I got very into the topic and eventually pretty perturbed. I highly recommend that you read through the topic before making assertions that debates "make friends," "bring us closer," and perhaps "raise the intelligence." I may argue the opposite on all three points...

The only beneficial thing that came out of that debate is that Fox taught me an important lesson about debating AND he got me to push for him an admin position in the future because I found him so terrifyingly logical.
<<

Nazgul

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:47 am

Looking back at that topic, a primary reason that those 3 things couldn't happen was because it was just a purely sloppy and dirty debate. On both sides. It just turned into a slinging-fest of whatever we thought the other side believed. People got emotionally involved in their arguments. Random people chimed in to the topic just to attack certain parts of Christian theology or the stance for homosexuality, yet being no where on topic.

That "debate" could have helped bring about some good things, but it had no order and mutual respect.
<<

Aaron5367

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:05 am

Then it begs the question who is fit to moderate a debate and where do we draw the lines on what is "slinging" and what is "belief."
<<

Shadow

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:25 am

Image Image
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:28 pm

I'm just going to enforce part of what Nazgul said, and part of what Shadow said.

Policy debate is meant so that 2 parties representing a side can come together and debate something with mutual respect and etiquette towards each other, so that things like this will not happen.
Shadow would be the moderator/judge in the debate. He knows what a good argument looks like, one that's backed up with evidence and fact, not just "I believe this and you're crap". In fact, if you start insulting the other team, it's a fallacy and you will be less likely to win the debate if you do such a thing.

Also, we don't have to debate moral things such as abortion, homosexuality, Christianity, etc. It's actually designed to debate policies such as the national tax policies, the NCAA not allowing student athletes to be paid, etc. I think if we were to come up with teams of 2, they could make up what they want to debate about. That, or shadow and I could come up with resolutions or something.
<<

Shadow

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Ok, one of the ones that I loved a lot was how the federal government of the united states should change its policy towards India. This creates a setting where the person that is talking has to research his position first, before you say anything because most people can't just say something off of the top of their head about that.

This is the things that the debate would be on, if I am following metro correctly
Image Image
<<

Fox_One

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, ~7.6 kiloparsecs from galactic center

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:39 pm

I've been worrying
- that my time is a little unclear
I've been worrying
- that I'm losing the ones I hold dear
I've been worrying
- that we all
- - live our lives
- - - in the confines of fear
<<

Aaron5367

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:14 pm

That wasn't the lesson I got out of it, though that would have been great. I looked hard for the paragraph I was referencing but I couldn't find it. I thought it was in the homosexuality thread but I didn't see it. It was something along the lines of "you don't participate in a debate to win," I think.
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:43 pm

So, what do you guys say? Are you up for a round of policy debate? All we have to do is get 4 competitors and a judge. We already have 1 competitor and a judge, anyone else want to join in? It's really not that hard.
I'd probably start out with something simple like "Resolved: The Government should ban all sugary drinks in schools". Shadow and I will go into greater detail about the little things if you guys are actually interested.
<<

Shadow

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Also, I probably could find a case somewhere on my computer so upload so you could see what actual policy debate looks like... This case got me to districts and almost state.

Edit: Found a somewhat early version of it. This should give you guys an example of what policy debate looks like from the side that is proposing the new changes
Attachments
Debate Case, Slavery.doc
(118.5 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Image Image

Return to Debates