[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Knights of Reason - Forums • View topic - PC vs Console Gaming
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PC vs Console Gaming

Forum rules
Do NOT flame, troll, or otherwise harass other users. This forum is heavily moderated. Posts that violate these rules will be deleted with a warning.
<<

Axis

Core Global Moderator
Core Global Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:51 pm

PC vs Console Gaming

So which is superior and why? Now I know I need to define "better", but I'll leave that up to you guys to interpret.

Note that this is strictly gaming, ignoring all auxiliary functions that a computer supports that consoles do not.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: PC vs Console Gaming

Well, for starters consoles were designed specifically for gaming. I know you said to ignore the separate functions a computer can do that consoles can't, but it's impossible to simply behave as if they do not exist. Computers, while offering a variety of options, even in gaming, are primarily machines designed to aid in communications and mathematics. In that regard, consoles win out.

However, there is also the point of control. With consoles, you are limited to a small number of buttons and sticks to map controls to (assuming the game allows control mapping for consoles). Therefore, as in FPS games, circle (on PS3) is crouch, while holding circle goes prone. Unfortunately, this can provide some issues with which timing and responsiveness are key. Meanwhile, on computers, virtually every action in a game can be theoretically mapped to its own separate key or button. Therefore crouch could be mapped to "c" while prone could be mapped to "p". In this regard, computers win out.

With consoles, there is a problem of visuals, otherwise known as graphics. Consoles are notorious for having overall poorer graphics than computers. However, this is somewhat mitigated with the fact that once a console has been released, aside from bug fixes, patches, software updates and the like, the console is good to go for as long as it needs to (until the next console comes out). Every game released for a certain console can run perfectly well at any time. Computers require near-constant updating and upgrading to keep up with performance. In this regard, the verdict leans towards consoles.

However, that leads me to my next point. Computers require a lot of time, effort, and money to be put into them before they can admirably perform at any game. That is not to say that you'd have to win the lottery to play the latest games. Many games, although they run on different engines and have different levels of graphics, are optimised well. They can even be outdated and still look nice (a year ago I was amazed at Half Life 2's graphics even though by then it was over seven years old). Plus, you can upgrade ahead and be able to ride the wave for a bit (my current rig is good enough to run BFBC2 on medium settings in Multiplayer, low settings for BF3 multiplayer). A new graphics card priced at $300 can last you at least two generations of games. With consoles, as soon as the next generation is out, you need to fork over $300-400 bucks for a new console. Computers win here.

Multiplayer is a point in this debate. Consoles are, at its core, peer-to-peer systems. Since their invention, people have played together. Little Bobby down the street would bring his controller over to play with Jimmy. This in a sense created the current Peer-2-Peer system where matchmaking is the standard. A computerised system will calculate each player's connection and group them together with similar connections. On computers, at least in games that give a darn, dedicated servers, and the browsers that come with them, are king. With them, computer players have the options of joining servers that host a well-liked game, game mode, or modification. They can choose to join a low population server to hone their skills or join densely populated ones to jump right into the action. They can even host their own server with proper equipment and set their own rules and stipulations. Computers win here.

Overall that's all I really want to say right now. I might add more later, but for now, my attention for this thread is pooped.
Come check out my stuff if you want. Love to hear back from people.
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

Fox_One

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, ~7.6 kiloparsecs from galactic center

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:36 pm

PC Gaming is superior because:
> Mods &
>
> Emulation of other systems (DOSBox, Comodore 64, basically any console up to PS1, etc)
> Customizability of the gaming platform

The only real thing that a console offers over a computer is simplicity and standardization.
I've been worrying
- that my time is a little unclear
I've been worrying
- that I'm losing the ones I hold dear
I've been worrying
- that we all
- - live our lives
- - - in the confines of fear
<<

maro_1

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:24 pm

PC no debate, lock thread :>

<<

BigWimply

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:26 pm

<<

Tojimaru

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:42 am

PC is clearly superior, but sometimes it's just fun to sit back and play a console.
[19:57] <+tojimaru> omg, you guys
[19:57] <+tojimaru> if Stewah leaves, we can take over the channel!
[19:57] * You were kicked by Stewah (bitch don't say shit like that!)
<<

lae

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:06 pm

lae@rizon/freenode
<<

QweefZilLa

Slightly Less Grangers Than Stewie
Slightly Less Grangers Than Stewie

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:51 pm

Its more of a preference than a debate tbh

voss what you said about dedicated servers are only on pc is wrong console has some games that do match making and some game (usually the good ones) have dedicated servers and you can scroll through a server list to find the lobby you wanna join this was true for all the socoms on ps2 and bf3 but sadly those are the only shooter games ive played that have had the server bowser (and ive played a ton of console shooters) .. games like COD halo bad company 2 MOH unchartered and others are match making only ...

personally I prefer to play on console 15 years or so using a joy stick and only 2 years on mouse I am better controller vs controller than mouse vs mouse and if i were to use a controller on a pc i would get pooped on ...

It all comes down to preference and its not about the console people being poor or to dumb to play on pc which im sure many of you here think I am ....

I have played bf3 on both pc and xbox and they feel like different games going from one to the other ... people on pc aim at you faster and recoil compensation comes natural so if you seen your dead makes it hard to play really aggressive
on console there's more running through peoples line of sight and being able to be a more aggressive player. On console you almost see everyone with a kobra sight or reflex, on pc you see alot more 4x scopes ... this is because engagements are more easily done are long range with the ability to compensate for recoil so easily ... I would say the guns are more balanced on pc too (I think) because the AEK dominates on console because it has such low vertical recoil and the fact that it has alot of horizontal recoil on console doesn't balance it because the engagements are alot closer all around ....

vehicle movement (jets + helis) and the ease of getting in and out and even sprinting is easier (maybe cause im just a noob with a keyboard ;) ) on console because of the controller every button you need is so close and your wrist will never hurt after playing 8 hours aday ... also one thing console beats pc by is that its wicked easy to chat with people using mics no having to use skype or downloading teamspeak

yes console is easier and noob friendly but it also offers a different feel to games one that I prefer in the case with bf3 the way people play on pc is different than the way people play on console .

pc also has aim bots and such and if a console game is new you will never see cheaters like you would on pc in my 1500 + hours of bf3 I have not run into one aimboter or cheater only glitchers -.-

If I had a billion dollars Id still play bf3 on xbox then on pc even though pc has 32 v32 conquest ... its just the style of play console offers that's great
<<

BigWimply

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:10 pm

<<

Shadow

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:22 pm

The only reason that I like the console at all is that there is really nothing quite like using a controller to play a game. But ever since I decided to stop being lazy and synced my controller with my computer, I haven't touched my ps3 in over a year (except when I have friends over).

But yeah, consoles are in my mind the gaming platform for people that don't know much about computers. You just put in the disk, press the power button and you are good to go. Much more is required from a computer to do anything (especially if you are using a Linux).

But yeah- Computers are imo better.
Image Image
<<

lae

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:05 pm

lae@rizon/freenode
<<

BigWimply

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:19 pm

I recommend Xbox 360 controllers for your PC controller needs. Mine has served me faithfully for many years.
<<

Shadow

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Honestly, playing any FPS with a controller is much more enjoyable then with a keyboard and a mouse. I will not say easier though. I prefer PS3 controllers to Xbox just because the thumbsticks are closer together.
Image Image
<<

KingNickolas

Spamming Granger
Spamming Granger

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Why is this debate section here? Save for qweef, everybody here is a pc gamer. o_O

Also, xbox controllers do work out well with pc.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 600 character limit.
<<

Aaron5367

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:10 pm

<<

ILikeMilk

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:42 am

i was a console gamer, moved to pc.
i like consoles for things like RPG's because you don't really need a mouse and keyboard for that.

i have to admit i haven't played my xbox in a while, not had a new game since pffff before may i can't remember the exact date.
so it's understandable that i'm bored with it. getting 2 xbox games for christmas so i'll be playing it more.

Consoles will always hold a special place in my heart, but if you have a good enough PC it just doesn't compare. PC just gives so much more freedom and access a console just can't compete. also Mods.
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:44 am

I won't be comparing the software but rather the hardware itself. Because there'd simply be no contest when it comes to which software is better.

Contrary to popular belief, the gaming industry was actually started on the computer. Not the NES or Atari.
Some of the first video games were written and played on giant computers which often costed multiple thousands of dollars.
Nowadays, gaming is much cheaper and easily available to the average American.

Overall, I'd have to say that PC gaming is superior. Here's a couple reasons why:

PC's can sometimes be expensive, and are especially more complicated to set up and use. That's why consoles are far superior when it comes to cost and simplicity.
The average cost of a decent gaming PC is about 600-700$, whereas 3rd generation consoles are averaging right now at about 150-200$.

You could, of course, always buy a cheap old computer. In which case, you could still play old games that you want to and get your gaming fix out of that.
But the console will offer you newer games which you're sure will work on it, for a decently low price. Whereas to play the same games at the same settings as the console, you'd most likely have to pay more on the PC.
This is only in the area of hardware, however. Gaming on PC does offer many sales, which quite often offer games for 75% off retail price.
You will almost never find this on a console, and thus, games are often times cheaper on the PC than they are on consoles.

If you're willing to get over the cost of buying a brand new PC, there are many free options for games which can save you money you'd normally have to spend if you got a console.

Game performances on the console are often times dwarfed by the power of the PC when it comes to graphics.
This means that if you buy a game for both the PC and the console, it will likely look better on the PC than it will the console.

The reason for this is that PC's generally have faster hardware than the consoles that are out at the time. Thus, developers are forced to design games which perform at a consistent FPS on the specific hardware they're given for the consoles out at the time, limiting the quality of the graphics in the game.
With the PC, there is no such limitation. The developers are free to assume that your computer can run the game, or you will not buy it. And once you do buy the game you can boost the graphics up more if you so desire and are able to, or lower them for better performance.
It is because of this that PCs have an advantage when it comes to graphical performances over consoles, and that's why I view graphics and performance on the PC as superior to the console, and thus, PC's are better when it comes to performance.

When it comes to the longevity of the PC or the Console, there are a couple contributing factors.
First, if you buy a low end PC just to play games that come out at the time decently, your PC probably won't last very long in the future.
However, if you choose to buy a high end PC , you'll find yourself being able to play games at the highest settings for multiple years to come, and if you can't, you might even be able to upgrade components to make it so you can. If you do this, your gaming rig should last you for decades if you take care of it properly, and it'll still be able to play the most recent games on the highest settings.
The same cannot be said for the console.
A typical lifespan of a gaming console is about 5 to 6 years, which means that if you buy a gaming console at it's release date, it will last you 5 to 6 years without having to buy a new one . Then a new console will come out, and you'll have to buy that new console if you want to continue to play the most recent games.
Buying a new console will definitely cost more than if you were to buy the last generation, or this new generation further into it's lifespan.
The average price for a brand new generation console is around 300-400$. This is still cheaper than a decent gaming PC rig. Unless you're going to buy the PS3, which costed 800$ on release!
Though buying a new console will cost you maybe 300$ on release and last maybe 6 years, if you buy a high end PC it can last you decades. I'd have to say PC's are superior in the area of longevity.

Overall, though the consoles may be cheaper and easier to use, PC's are superior in every other area and thus win this debate.

TL;DR version:
Read the conclusion sentence you lazy bum, you. =P
<<

ViruS

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:26 pm

M.O.: Consoles are far too limited. Computers can be costimized, beyond from what a console can handle. You can on computer:
-Hack a console controller so it's compatable with the computer
-Customize hardware parts and shit so it's far superior to the original console
-Modding
-Et cetera.
ImageImageImage
| for 1.1
(when adding me, state your forum/tremulous username) | Games: Paladins, NS2, Reflex, Quake Live, War Thunder, Rise of Flight, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad
Non-Steam: BF3, Tremulous
<<

BigWimply

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:43 pm

I like your misspelling, 'costomized,' because the prices of computers vary greatly.
<<

Fox_One

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, ~7.6 kiloparsecs from galactic center

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:28 am

Oh, there is one major benefit of consoles that I don't think has been mentioned, and that's the ability to sit down and play with other people in the room. Of course, with computers you can set up a LAN party or w/e, but that's complicated and requires that everyone bring their computer to the same geographic location &etc. I don't think computers will ever be able to match the fun of getting four friends together and playing Super Smash Brothers (any version).

Playing with other people over the internet is great and all, but it's just not the same as being able to yell at the guy sitting next to you for being an ass, throw taunts at your little brother who never seems to be able to win a race, or have in-depth arguments about screen-cheating.

It's disheartening that many modern games are cutting the local multiplayer features - I've always considered it to be probably the best thing about console gaming. It's one of the reasons I love my Gamecube.
I've been worrying
- that my time is a little unclear
I've been worrying
- that I'm losing the ones I hold dear
I've been worrying
- that we all
- - live our lives
- - - in the confines of fear
<<

ILikeMilk

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:10 am

i agree Fox. me and my brother used to LOVE playing co-op games on our gamecube and ps2.
kinda sad that these days most games hardly have any form of co-op or 2 player, just some cheap multiplayer that sucks.

basically they'd prefer you buy a 2nd console, game and tv than put coop in a game.

one of the main reasons we hardly get any console games anymore, no 2 player = no fun.
<<

Nazgul

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:20 pm

I agree with pretty much all Fox has said in this thread. The pros of PC gaming outnumber the pros of consoles greatly, and I will always prefer playing games on a PC over a console, but there really is something about sitting down with my brothers playing some Super Smash Brothers. Even just a few days ago when my older brother came home from Germany after a year, we played some Tales of Symphonia on Gamecube and had such a good time that I don't think could be easily mimicked by PCs.
<<

ILikeMilk

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:24 pm

OMFG ToS on the GC is like my fav game of all time, i'm pretty sure i completed that game about 10 times.
and i think that's the only game i ever did everything 100%

some of them damn evil weapons (forgot what they are called) were hard to do.
<<

teal

Unidentified Granger
Unidentified Granger

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:22 pm

Console. PCs are for nerds. xbox also has mountain dew double xp gamer fuel !!!1!!1 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not really though, PC all the way.
<<

KingNickolas

Spamming Granger
Spamming Granger

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:57 pm

HA. You're funny.

Also, you can play older consoles that were fun to play with friends a long time ago on computers nowadays. For example, I just played a little Conker's Bad Fur Day with my sister in multiplayer. It was great. All we needed was a couple xbox controllers and pj64. Worked like a charm. Granted there aren't many games MADE for the computer that are co-op / multiplayer, but you can find ways.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 600 character limit.
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:32 am

If we're going to be nostalgic about the consoles, we should put it in another thread. This thread is for debating (I guess, there seems to be no contest here lol)
<<

AsterisK

Core Global Moderator
Core Global Moderator

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:43 pm

I don't see much of a reason to get consoles anymore. They're limiting and the general types of games I like playing are ones that require rather precise controls that a controller simply can't keep up with.
<<

ILikeMilk

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:23 pm

i agree Astwoo, me and my brother used to love playing the PS2 and Gamecube and there was always games coming out for them we wanted.
these days games just kinda suck. too much cod n halo.
<<

Aaron5367

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:48 am

<<

lae

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name: