[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Knights of Reason - Forums • View topic - PC vs Console Gaming
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PC vs Console Gaming

Forum rules
Do NOT flame, troll, or otherwise harass other users. This forum is heavily moderated. Posts that violate these rules will be deleted with a warning.
<<

Aaron5367

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: PC vs Console Gaming

They haven't been out for as long as the wii. Plus they're quite a bit more hardware intensive. Wii hardly runs on Dolphin without a super processor so I can't imagine an upper end PS3 game.
<<

lae

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:43 pm

yeah. it's going to be a long while before they can be emulated.

lae@rizon/freenode
<<

BigWimply

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Yea, but do you see any consoles out that can emulate PC games? No? Didn't think so. I win.
<<

QweefZilLa

Slightly Less Grangers Than Stewie

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:59 am

<<

Aaron5367

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:38 pm

If we're going down the angsty games path. Let's talk about how cookie cutter'd most modern FPSes are today. Minor differences in style and game mods.
<<

ILikeMilk

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:19 pm

i remember back in the days of PS2 when playing Call of Duty and Medal of honor had FUN single and Coop modes.
now it's multiplayer with a tacked on single player.

these days CoD isn't and shouldn't be worth what it costs, considering basically all your paying for is a 2 hour single player campaign.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:39 pm

Most of that 2 hour campaign is padded with false difficulty, dieing repeatedly, and cutscenes.

Have an image I've saved, not sure if I got it from this forum or not, though:

Remember when you could backtrack almost with impunity, going back and forth between levels? Remember when the overarching story was told in atmosphere and various little text inserts? Why is "story" told in cutscenes now? Whatever happened to atmosphere?

THEN: OHMYGOD THAT DEMON IS COMING RIGHT AT ME KILL IT!

NOW: Meh. I'm shooting people who are a different colour than me for the 50th f*cking time in the past hour. I can't wait to get to the on-rails vehicle sections where I get to kill differently coloured people with more efficiency.
Come check out my stuff if you want. Love to hear back from people.
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

ILikeMilk

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:06 pm

i remember when RPG games used to be it's own genre, now it's *insert genre here*-rpg

oh yeah, we decided to go for the FPS-RPG
yeah yeah, we love rpgs here so we decided to go for RTS-RPG
we love FPS and Strategy games here, so we went for FPS-SIM-STR-PUZ-RPG

RPG, the genre that isn't it's own genre anymore.
p.s, Skyrim wasn't really rpg, it was more of a fps with swords.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Well don't get me wrong, sometimes those mixes can be good (see: Deus Ex - FPS-RPG). However nowadays, more and more mixes of genres are just shite. Apparently you need to gain 'X' amount of experience to unlock a unit in an RTS game (Command and Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight), or you need to kill 30 giant spiders to equip your newest sword which, by the time you kill those spiders becomes obsolete (2 Moons).
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

BigWimply

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:11 pm

<<

ViruS

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:13 am

ImageImageImage
| for 1.1
(when adding me, state your forum/tremulous username) | Games: Paladins, NS2, Reflex, Quake Live, War Thunder, Rise of Flight, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad
Non-Steam: BF3, Tremulous
<<

teal

Unidentified Granger
Unidentified Granger

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:30 am

<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:19 am

I think that deserves it's own topic lol
<<

Nazgul

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:59 pm

So what happens when the gap between PC and console gaming is or completely?
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:04 pm

I'm not sure I would welcome that. I'm not sure the PC gamers could deal with (elitism aside) console gamers, if only for the fact PC gamers would have an obvious edge in controls, visuals, and connection. Personally I would like consoles and PC's to remain where they are now.

<<

Aaron5367

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:03 am

Runs Windows 8, that's not a PC that's a tablet.
<<

Nazgul

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:24 pm

Exactly, it's a PC gaming tablet.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:43 pm

In my opinion tablets should remain with casual games that fit the control style. I'm pretty sure that tablet port for Dead Space was pretty bad.

<<

Stewie

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 pm

The key thing about consoles it that they have specific hardware, so the games that come out for them can be optimized specifically for them, as for PCs you have to create a general system that could be run on any number of variations of systems. This is how the PS3 graphics appeared to be superior than PC graphics for what seemed to be a number of years. However the nature of PCs has brought them back into a current golden age as the console are not being updated nearly as quickly as to keep up with the PC hardware. This mixed with the increase in developers allowing the communities to mod their games openly has allowed PC games to become a more custom experience changing the many ways most games can already be played creating a more focused and personal feel for many players.
ImageImage
ImageImage
<<

lae

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu May 02, 2013 11:46 pm

Stewie, are you trying to distract yourself from your studies again?

lae@rizon/freenode
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri May 03, 2013 10:31 am

<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri May 03, 2013 12:57 pm

With the range of possibilities available in game development today, unless you specifically designed it for tablets/mobiles, why would you hamper yourself with the hardware and physical limitations of said platforms when trying to make a game designed to, frankly, be taken seriously. Red Orchestra and ArmA are not on mobiles because they cannon handle the necessities of the games. Neither are Call of Duty and Battlefield (to my knowledge), for the same reasons. Casual shooters, like those that have the little wheel-pad thing at the bottom left of the screen to look around are okay. Those are designed for mobiles. But to have a game whose strengths are in their control surfaces and their hardware advantages ported or released to mobiles is simply detrimental to the game itself. Sure, you reach a broader spectrum of potential customers, but if the mobile customers are anything like my mother and sister, they're just gonna want something simple and easy to make specifically for mobiles, like Angry Birds or "Where's My Water!"

<<

QweefZilLa

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat May 04, 2013 6:42 pm

ps4 and a new xbox are gonna come out soon ... battlefield 4 on the new consoles will have the same amount of people as pc :) I cannot wait. Consoles will be victorious again ;)
<<

ThePaleRecluse

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat May 04, 2013 7:20 pm

Consoles are never victorious, they just play catchup to PC's every product round. :P See SLI Titan setups and the i7-3970X.
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun May 05, 2013 11:48 am

lol "consoles will be victorious again". More like "consoles will be caught up to the average PC at announcement again" :P
Sorry Qweef, but honestly, the only thing consoles are better at than computers is price. And with the PS4's price yet to be announced at this time, we can't even be sure about that. If the price is anything like the PS3, I'd MUCH rather have a great 800$ computer than the PS4.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Xbox. It's just that if I were to get one or the other for free, I'd always choose a computer.
<<

MeatWad490

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun May 05, 2013 9:06 pm

This debate is still going on?

PC just wins hands down all the time.
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting shall follow. But that parting needs not last forever. Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short while... that is up to you."
<<

ViruS

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon May 06, 2013 6:10 am

I've got the ultimate evidence: You can't compile on a console for a console. HAH! Beat that!
ImageImageImage
| for 1.1
(when adding me, state your forum/tremulous username) | Games: Paladins, NS2, Reflex, Quake Live, War Thunder, Rise of Flight, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad
Non-Steam: BF3, Tremulous
<<

QweefZilLa

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue May 07, 2013 5:59 pm

Consoles win in one aspect .. Not nearly as much aim bots .... 2000 + hours on bf3 I've seen no cheaters .. Only keyboard and mouse users :@ but yeah pcs better in almost every other aspect :( but as far as gaming the new consoles will Be able to handle things consoles can't now that PC can (PC and console games will have the same features as PC) ...
<<

Fox_One

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, ~7.6 kiloparsecs from galactic center

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue May 07, 2013 8:20 pm

I've been worrying
- that my time is a little unclear
I've been worrying
- that I'm losing the ones I hold dear