[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Knights of Reason - Forums • View topic - Assault Weapons Ban of 2013
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Assault Weapons Ban of 2013

Forum rules
Do NOT flame, troll, or otherwise harass other users. This forum is heavily moderated. Posts that violate these rules will be deleted with a warning.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:25 pm

Assault Weapons Ban of 2013

This one, compared to the ban enacted in 1994-2004, is much more expansive and cover almost every firearm short of single-shots, revolvers, and black powder rifles (in that if you have one it is safe). Rifles with a capacity of over 10 rounds will be banned, rifles with detachable magazines will be banned. Similarities apply to pistols. Pistol grips, bayonet LUGS, fore grips, flash suppressors, and other similar cosmetic accessories (cosmetic in the sense that they do not inherently make the firearm more deadly) will be banned. Fixed magazines with a capacity of over 10 rounds will be banned. Only 9,000 firearms will be listed by name (different models [e.g. M4 and M4A1] are counted on their own) to leave unbanned (mostly single-shots, revolvers, etc).

On YouTube, my favourite sensible people to listen to on the subject are MrColionNoir, AmidsTheNoise, Sturmgewehre, and VigilantSpectre.

What are your guys' thoughts on it, and since many of you are 18 and older and are citizens of the US, how would you guys do this?

EDIT: I want civil debate! No personal insults, nothing like that.

SECOND EDIT: This video, despite the slightly off-tone music, has everything that has been leaked so far:
Last edited by Lt. Voss on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Rule Note; Information Video
Come check out my stuff if you want. Love to hear back from people.
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Re: Assault Weapons Ban of 2013

If this passes I'll be pissed. Ever heard of the second amendment? Yeah, this bill kinda ignores it.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:30 pm

The argument to that for most of the anti-gun people is that if it saves one life, it'll be worth it. And that violent crime will decrease with the banning of guns.
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

Shadow

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:48 pm

So violent crime then switches to something else?

Every time guns get banned, the rate of violent crime with other weapons rise.

I would honestly prefer gun violence to stabbings because guns are easy to track for The average retarded/first time criminal versus an unmarked knife
Image Image
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:58 pm

In one of the videos that AmidsTheNoise did called "Choose your own crime stats", as of 2011, the violent crime rate in England and Wales was 3.5 times that of the United States. The UK has a nation-wide gun ban (AFAIK), and yet had a crime rate drastically higher than the US's, which doesn't have a nation-wide ban on guns (yet). If that doesn't say anything about the effectiveness of gun bans, I don't know what will.

<<

Nazgul

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:06 pm

Japan is one of the most strict nations with gun laws and has an outstandingly small violent crime rate. Yet Switzerland has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world, but still has a relatively low crime rate. These sorts of laws are so dependent on a country’s history and culture that it’s not really something that you can just copy and paste law from place to place.
<<

Fox_One

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, ~7.6 kiloparsecs from galactic center

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:08 pm

The biggest problem is just how far off the mark all of the discussion is.

You see, the purpose of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is not to provide people a means of defending themselves from each other. This is a rather pedestrian interpretation.

If you read anything that Thomas Jefferson said on the subject, it's clear that the Second Amendment exists to allow citizens to protect themselves from an oppressive government. At the time of its writing, there were no automatic weapons or grenade launchers or body armor or what-have-you. A group of men with hunting rifles or flintlock muskets could successfully stage a rebellion, because the military wasn't carrying anything more effective.
I've been worrying
- that my time is a little unclear
I've been worrying
- that I'm losing the ones I hold dear
I've been worrying
- that we all
- - live our lives
- - - in the confines of fear
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:09 pm

To be honest, I don't think a ban on guns will not reduce violent crimes involving firearms as much as people would think.
If you think about it, what kind of people are killing people with guns? Criminals, or otherwise people who do not obey the law.
Passing a new bill preventing the purchase of such weapons will only increase the amount which are sold on the black market.
This means it's only going to hurt those who abide by the law or otherwise respect gun limitations. Not to mention, it's a ridiculous restriction. I mean, 10 shots? I have a semi-automatic .22 that almost holds that much.
<<

ViruS

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:31 am

In Oustwalieya practically no one has guns and the only burglars that appear on the news are usually teenage drunkies/depressants... Well, as far as i've known, I'm not sure about the famous side of my country such as sydney... I live in perth, where almost nothing happens. (A poll was held, where would be the most safest place in australia be from the incomming 2012 apocalypes? Perth was rated the highest. Not even celebs come here often... in fact darwin is probably more famous because they have crocodiles there...)

Apart from that, well, the thing is who the hell would buy a gun? In the past, it was for hunting wild rabbits (benificial for the country at the time) and they were compressed air powered, not gun powder. You know, one of those "crack the rifle in half, bend as much as possible, put the pellet inside, straighten the rifle, aim, fire" type rifles... I was one of the top shooters in my class on our year 7 camp...
Anyway nowdays guns are practically useless, and for self defence, well no one really has thought about that, and our community is fairly stable. Maybe it's related to the thing that my brother told me a few months ago, that our city was the most "live-able place in the world" (homeless:homed people ratio is approx. 1:50'000 or higher, and most of these only live in the city) as well as the "most expensive city in australia"

thinking of which i havn't seen fox_one's avatar for a long time, or (s)he hasn't talked for a while :/
ImageImageImage
| for 1.1
(when adding me, state your forum/tremulous username) | Games: Paladins, NS2, Reflex, Quake Live, War Thunder, Rise of Flight, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad
Non-Steam: BF3, Tremulous
<<

Shadow

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:14 am

Fox tends to only post in the debate section nowadays.

Something my brother shared with me yesterday about gun control

Image Image
<<

Alex

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:46 am

<<

ThePaleRecluse

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:22 am

I've come to the conclusion, after years of gun incidents with each side going apeshit over the other, that its not my time or effort to even attempt to discuss the topic. Nobody is willing to move an inch in either direction. So I've stopped participating.
<<

MeatWad490

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:30 pm

As metro said, not everyone is going to obey the law. Those who won't would be the only ones with firearms.

The law can pass but I will still keep my weapons and the police wouldn't even set foot in my home with a "probable cause" bullcrap.
I remember reading something one day which has to be true. It's hard for other nations to invade the US for the reason almost everyone has guns.

" You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass" - Japanese Admiral Yamamoto. 1941.In this time scenario, there would be a sniper rifle on every low to high building. For every 100 citizens, 90 of them would be armed.

Say 313 million would be armed in the US and a army of 42 million are coming to invade. That would be 8 rifle men for each soldier. Don't you just feel safe?
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting shall follow. But that parting needs not last forever. Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short while... that is up to you."
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:53 pm

<<

ILikeMilk

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:08 pm

if someone wants to kill someone else that badly, they'll just use a knife or poison or even a car.
a gun is just quicker, and it's easy to off yourself with too.
<<

ViruS

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:25 am

I thought something like punching a window and using the shards to kill someone was always easier... unless the window is a toughie, such as car windscreens, they break into tiny powder-like sand...
ImageImageImage
| for 1.1
(when adding me, state your forum/tremulous username) | Games: Paladins, NS2, Reflex, Quake Live, War Thunder, Rise of Flight, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad
Non-Steam: BF3, Tremulous

Return to Debates