[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Knights of Reason - Forums • View topic - Gays being boy scout leaders
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Gays being boy scout leaders

Forum rules
Do NOT flame, troll, or otherwise harass other users. This forum is heavily moderated. Posts that violate these rules will be deleted with a warning.
<<

maro_1

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:32 am

Gays being boy scout leaders

This discussion came up at work today.

Recently the news was talking about lifting the ban on gays being boy scout leaders. What are your thoughts on this?

When it was brought up at work, someone said that "it opens the opportunity for the boy scouts to be molested when on camping trips with a gay troop leader." <---what are your thoughts on that?

<<

ThePaleRecluse

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 am

Re: Gays being boy scout leaders

Since when does gay = pedophile.
<<

Shadow

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:29 am

Given the fact that boy scouts does represent itself as a semi-religious group it is against their principles to allow this. I have no personal problem against it, since to me, unless they are that extremely flamboyant gay type, they act like normal people.

It is up the parents though to decide if they want their children to have a gay scout leader. I don't think that BSA should decide without first getting some poll or something of the parents.
Image Image
<<

Fox_One

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, ~7.6 kiloparsecs from galactic center

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:47 pm

As long as there's no government intervention in their decision making, I'm fine with whatever they choose.

The Boy Scouts may be an American icon, but they're not a government-affiliated group. They're a private, incorporated 501c3 non-profit organization, which means no one has any business telling them what policies to make so long as they don't conflict with federal law.

If they choose to be guided by a changing public opinion, so be it. But I think setting any precedent of interference here would be far more dangerous than however they choose to run their internal affairs.

My feeling is that all this media noise about whether the BSA chooses to change their policy or not is just lots of people looking to make trouble where it isn't needed. Or worse, looking for a target.
I've been worrying
- that my time is a little unclear
I've been worrying
- that I'm losing the ones I hold dear
I've been worrying
- that we all
- - live our lives
- - - in the confines of fear
<<

maro_1

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:15 pm

<<

Shadow

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:22 pm

I didnt say they weren't. It is just what I was trying to say that if they aren't the flamboyant type then you can't tell the difference between them and a straight person.
Image Image
<<

Aaron5367

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:28 pm

<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:02 pm

They're volunteers. Neither of my Scoutmasters are paid, and my dad isn't paid either. He just gets a deductible for driving to and from a non-profit organisation.
Come check out my stuff if you want. Love to hear back from people.
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

Aaron5367

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Then I also see no issue with them banning gay volunteers.

Morally I do, but legally it's their right.
<<

ViruS

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:05 am

My opinion: Give a valid reason for banning gays being boy scout leaders... In my school, some physical education classes are held gender-seperated, sometimes men teach the girl's class, one of them in particular makes weird
ImageImageImage
| for 1.1
(when adding me, state your forum/tremulous username) | Games: Paladins, NS2, Reflex, Quake Live, War Thunder, Rise of Flight, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad
Non-Steam: BF3, Tremulous
<<

ILikeMilk

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:58 am

Post removed, user warned to follow rules at the top of the page.
Last edited by Aaron5367 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed.
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Return to Debates