[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Knights of Reason - Forums • View topic - Zimmerman
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Zimmerman

Forum rules
Do NOT flame, troll, or otherwise harass other users. This forum is heavily moderated. Posts that violate these rules will be deleted with a warning.
<<

Shadow

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:44 am

Zimmerman

So, Given everything that has happened, what do you guys think?
Image Image
<<

Alex

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:26 am

Re: Zimmerman

I wouldn't like to become a carpenter.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:32 am

From what I've looked at, Zimmerman being acquitted appears to be a "good" thing. I've seen the actual pictures of Treyvon (not the middle school "I'm so innocent" pictures, I mean the most recent ones) and I've seen Zimmerman's wounds before he was arrested (some nasty head wounds). I may not truly understand the circumstances, but if Zimmerman really did kill in self-defence (which kind of holds up) then being acquitted for murder seems to be a "good" turn of events. Still don't like how it's still being hyped by some media outlets as racist and evil though.
Come check out my stuff if you want. Love to hear back from people.
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

QweefZilLa

Slightly Less Grangers Than Stewie
Slightly Less Grangers Than Stewie

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:20 am

I'm happy with what happened it was clearly self defense the media made it out to be a little kid when in reality it was a 6'2 punk the kid was just suspended from school and shouldn't have even been out at night but his parents don't give two poops so he wasnt grounded because the kids in Florida are animals (I've lived there in a bad neighbor hood before) good to see our justice system still works
<<

Nazgul

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:28 am

I haven't really formed an educated opinion or stance on it but this Reddit comment pretty much captures my thoughts on it:

"Honestly, I think that he just had a really good defense, and that he still deserved worse based on my views of it. I don't give a flying fuck about the race side of things, which is what the vast majority of people are focusing on. Race has nothing to do with it. I believe that Martin was a very confrontational and aggressive person, which obviously did not play out well with this situation, and I believe that Zimmerman is a paranoid vigilante that's trying way too hard to be neighborhood hero.
Speaking as someone with a concealed weapons permit, Zimmerman broke essentially every common-sense rule of carrying. Those rules are taught in the permit class and are meant to keep you out of legal trouble while still defending yourself. When carrying, you have the last say of any confrontation, whether the other person knows it or not. You have their life in your hands. This means that you are to avoid negative confrontation at all costs. Most of us that choose to carry for defense are the nicest, most non-confrontational people around, because we know we are carrying and don't want to use it unless we absolutely have to. Zimmerman not only actively sought out a confrontation, he blatantly followed a random guy at night against the orders of the 911 dispatcher. I don't care who you are, that is straight up fucking creepy. Captain America himself could follow a stranger at night and it would still be scary and creepy. I absolutely don't blame Martin for trying to fight him, because his view is that some guy is stalking him at night when all he's trying to do is get to where he wants to be. Zimmerman let his carry permit go to his head, and rather than be for self defense, his gun became the long arm of the law with his neighborhood watch boner. He may have been lucky and is now off the hook legally, but his reputation is still ruined. Not to mention the absolute shit ton of legal fees I'm sure he's racking up. This will haunt him for the rest of his life, guilty or not guilty."

Zimmerman just seems plain foolish.
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:51 pm

I've not read the full report on what happened, so I can't form an educated informed opinion. If someone were to share the full story with me, I'd probably be able to decide.
But from what I've heard about it (second hand reports), I'd probably have to agree with what Nazgul quoted.
<<

Pbhead

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

Post Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi. hello. Been following the case a whole bunch.

"he blatantly followed a random guy at night against the orders of the 911 dispatcher."

Incorrect. 3!11 dispatchers are not policed officers, and cant give orders, nor did the dispatcher.

Zimmerman was already following when the dispatcher asked:

"are you following him?"

"Yeah."

"Ok. We dont need you to do that."

"Ok."

He then goes on to give a lot of boring details about who he was and where he lives.

Personally, we need more people like Zimmerman who are willing to go out and investigate suspicious behavior. So many of us (like many of the witnesses that night) just perfer to hide, watch and do nothing.

Ima guilty of this as well, a few weeks ago, there was a fight, right outside my apt window. Two big tough guys shouting at eachother, I wanted to go out there, and see what was going on, but knowing that if they wanted to, could tear scrawny me to pieces, I did nothing, thinking to myself, If I had a gun, then i wouldnt have to be afraid of em, and i could help.

I put some of the blame on the school system, which did not report finding stolen items, and illegal drugs in trayvon martin's belongings to the police, because arresting students makes the school look bad. And some on Tray's GF, who, just went on with Piers Morgan, and said that she was telling Travyon that Zimmerman was probably a gay pedophile.
"Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:37 am

People seem to forget that a few months prior something similar happened. And when Zimmerman followed the dispatcher's suggestion to not follow the suspected burglar? The police arrived far too late to be of any service. I'm not directing any anger towards someone who knew the police would be of no help in the there and now. And why does no one acknowledge the fact Zimmerman was pretty beat up, yet Martin had the fatal bullet wound? Not a single major news network I've watched recently (or when it first came to infamy) described that telling detail. Or that Treyvon wasn't an innocent young man. Did you hear what some of the people of the black community are doing? They raided Walmart and took scooters from little kids so they could protest and make signs saying things like "Being Black is NOT a Crime". Honestly most of what I see is bleeding-heart pity-givers for Treyvon. I know justice for all, and all that, and right to due process. But when you're not an outstanding citizen in the first place and then start beating someone (who may or may not have even been following you, from the followed's perspective), I'm not going to bat more than one of my eyes.

Also hi, Pbhead. Haven't seen you 'round these here parts none too often recently. Ya gonna tell us how ya been?
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:13 pm

Well, it's one thing to intervene when you have a gun. It's another to intervene when you see two huge guys that are twice your size arguing and you're NOT carrying. There's a fine line between heroic and stupid :P
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:32 am

There is no fine line between heroic and stupid. If you do something stupid and live, you're a hero. If you do something stupid and die (or lose, get hospitalised, etc.), then you're a moron. Thank you, Harry Dresden, for that very hilarious line.

Return to Debates