[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Knights of Reason - Forums • View topic - Live: Felix Baumgartner to skydive from upper stratosphere
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Live: Felix Baumgartner to skydive from upper stratosphere

<<

Fox_One

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, ~7.6 kiloparsecs from galactic center

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:08 am

Live: Felix Baumgartner to skydive from upper stratosphere

Felix Baumgartner is currently (1300 EDT 14 Oct 2012) ascending in a balloon to ~120,000 feet (23 miles, in the upper stratosphere), intending to make the highest ever skydive.

Article with more info is here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- ... 0669.story

More importantly, live video stream is here: http://www.redbullstratos.com/live

As I post this he's already at 93,000 ft, so more than 3/4 of the way there.
I've been worrying
- that my time is a little unclear
I've been worrying
- that I'm losing the ones I hold dear
I've been worrying
- that we all
- - live our lives
- - - in the confines of fear
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Live: Felix Baumgartner to skydive from upper stratosphe

I've heard about this. Pretty cool stuff!
<<

ThePaleRecluse

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:56 pm

He hit almost 1136km/h, plummeting towards the planet from the outer reaches of our atmosphere.

I sat around my house, ate cake and played video games.

Gorramit.
<<

Fox_One

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, ~7.6 kiloparsecs from galactic center

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:07 am

Yeah, the balloon continued rising past the expected altitude, and Felix eventually had to let helium out to stop it from climbing more. He jumped from more than 127,000 feet up, about 24.5 miles, and hit Mach 1.24 on his way down.

And landed on his feet.
I've been worrying
- that my time is a little unclear
I've been worrying
- that I'm losing the ones I hold dear
I've been worrying
- that we all
- - live our lives
- - - in the confines of fear
<<

ViruS

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:49 am

According to wikipedia, Mach units = Velocity / Speed of sound for the condition it is in.
If the speed of sound is significantly slower in denser places (i never knew this until my teacher told me) then Mach speed in the statosphere should be.... well not that fast. He looked a lot faster than 300 m/s (~speed of sound at sea level) though.
ImageImageImage
| for 1.1
(when adding me, state your forum/tremulous username) | Games: Paladins, NS2, Reflex, Quake Live, War Thunder, Rise of Flight, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad
Non-Steam: BF3, Tremulous
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:04 pm

If the speed of sound is slower in denser places, then it should be much higher in the less-dense places of the stratosphere, shouldn't it?

Besides, isn't the speed of sound at sea level 300 some odd meters per second? At least through air?
Come check out my stuff if you want. Love to hear back from people.
If you're looking for something to watch or have any suggestions of your own, drop on by.

<<

KingNickolas

Spamming Granger
Spamming Granger

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:37 pm

talk about copying halo. pfft.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 600 character limit.
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:23 pm

LOL Nick. Just, LOL.
But yeah, he was going really fast. Although it wouldn't be hard to break the sound barrier that high up as far as I know.

Return to News