[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Knights of Reason - Forums • View topic - Change of Pace (Almost Literally)
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Change of Pace (Almost Literally)

<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:45 am

Change of Pace (Almost Literally)

Okay, so I recently got Windows 10, mostly because it was free, it didn't seem to be much of a change from 7 (to me, it seems like 7 with visuals from 8 and some new stuff added in), and if more people start using it my father could use having someone with Windows 10 to familiarise himself with it. All my programs (thankfully) remained, since it was a simple upgrade, and all that jazz (even Windows Media Player, which was slated to be removed).

The only unfixable problem I've run into is that the songs that I have that had Japanese titles, either with specific Kanji or other Japanese characters, or with Romanji letters, have been butchered into displaying as absolute gibberish, not necessarily the typical boxes that display for an unrecognised language, but alphanumeric nonsense.

ŒN‚̂܂܂Łi‚s‚uƒAƒjƒuƒAƒ}ƒKƒ~‚r‚rvƒI[ƒvƒjƒ“ƒO‹Èj

The title of that song is "Kimi no Mama de", though I wouldn't fault for not obviously being able to tell at first glance. That title was in Kanji.

‚Œ‚‰‚”‚”‚Œ‚…@‚ƒ‚Œ‚‚—‚Ž

The title for this one is "Little Clown", but instead of Kanji this title was in Romanji letters (seemed to be some extra spacing, the typeface/font was different from the other song titles, like those in English).

I've set my system language for non-Unicode programs to Japanese, a necessary step in making some of the games I have, visual novels from Japan, work and play normally. On Windows 7, this was all that I changed, and the characters displayed as they should have. Here on Windows 10, I've done exactly the same thing, only now I've added an additional language pack (Japanese, obviously) to see if that would help, but ultimately it was fruitless.

Am I just going to have to try and input all the titles back to their original selves manually, or is there a workaround that any of you might know about? Like I said, despite being a flashy "new" 10, it looks like 7 and 8 had a baby, and since nothing of mine was borked (aside from the characters), the programming seems to be more or less the same, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks bros.
<<

Robmanx

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: Change of Pace (Almost Literally)

Windows 10 has been released already?

<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:36 pm

For those who've reserved their copies while having a legitimate copy of Windows 7 Pro and up, or Windows 8 Pro and up, and apparently it's free for the first year after launch (it launched on the 29th). You should see or should have seen a little icon on the bottom right of the task bar that looked like the Windows logo, clicking on it would get you to where you needed to go to get 10.
<<

maro_1

General In-Game Name:

Post Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:00 pm

i'm going to hold off for a while since i do have a year to upgrade. I'm not a fan of change, and if you're saying japanese isn't working then i'm def not upgrading till that is fixed.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:20 am

It's not that Japanese won't display properly, because I can type and read Kanji normally; it's just the song titles that got borked in the transition and now I have no idea how to fix them back.
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:57 am

Voss, did you install the Japanese language pack? Sometimes you have to install the characters.
<<

Lt. Voss

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:47 pm

That's one of the first things I did. I've set my system locale to Japan(ese), which was all that was required for Windows 7. I've installed the Japanese language pack, but setting it as my "primary" display language didn't change anything except make all the menus Japanese, so I set it back to English. I'm wondering if I've just got to rename the songs back to their titles?

Return to Technical Help