[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Knights of Reason - Forums • View topic - Zombie Apocalypse
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Zombie Apocalypse

<<

Hybrid

New Granger
New Granger

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed May 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Zombie Apocalypse

Hey guys, its currently quarter to midnight on my birthday and i have exams in 32 hours so im stuck at home and this is what im doing with my time. Yeah.

Here is the situation - I have made it pretty simple so it can apply to all; You are sitting in your house, watching tv. An emergency broadcast plays on your tv announcing that this Zombie infestation has taken place and youre told that martial law is now in order.

Fuck.

What do you do?

Do you bunker down and grab as much tinned food as possible, and try wait it out?

Or do you head home, rip out the old revolver and raid the nearest gun store, arm up, and become a real life chain suit?

Option 2 does sound amazing, but where i stay the most lethal thing i can get my hands on is my axe. No arm. No creds. Nothing...

My plan:

As soon as i hear about whats happened i head to the nearest supermarket, and i fight and claw my way through the rabid hordes of scared shoppers and grab as much tinned food and bottled water as possible. Food. CHECK.

Luckily for me, my supermarket is opposite a garden centre so i head in there and take as many packets of seeds as possible (for plants that grow fruits, vegetables etc). I then proceed home where i barricade the whole house with wood that i have in my garden (we have a coal fire, we store logs and planks to burn in the winter). Fort. CHECK.

I take all the DIY tools i own and i take my family up to my attic. We have one that can only be accessed via a hatch in the ceiling of the upstairs hall so if we head up there and close the hatch we will be safe. Hopefully.

Before sealing ourselves up there, i run as much water as i can out of the taps and fill pots, pans, plastic containers etc so that if the water is shut off we will have extra reserves. So everything seems fine so far; we have food, water, light weaponry, safe sleeping arrangements, and barricaded house.

Lastly; my attic has a window panel leading onto the roof, and my roof is shaped funny; my house is a square in shape, and on top of the roof it all slopes in, forming a sort of bowl (water isnt trapped, there are gutters leading out of it), so what i do is i fetch soil from my garden and i fill up that "bowl" and plant my seeds. These can act as a longer term food supply if they grow succesfully.

So seal up, Sleep tight, ration well and be quiet.

Did you like my plan? got any problems with it? let me know. Would be cool to hear yours.

Hybrid.
Image Image Image
<<

Pbhead

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

Post Wed May 14, 2014 7:01 pm

Re: Zombie Apocalypse

No gun? your fucked.

Go to the grocery store? your fucked.

Take? not helpful. makes you more of a problem than the solution, and likely to get shot by anyone in a uniform.

Be careful with the roof... you wouldnt want to collapse it with too much weight. Dirt is surprisingly heavy, but roof farming should be possible if you are very careful about it, and do a bit of terrace engineering.
"Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
<<

Hybrid

New Granger
New Granger

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu May 15, 2014 7:29 am

@Pbhead.

why am i fucked without a gun? if we stay quiet zombies will probably not come in the house anyway? and even if they do get in, how do they get in the attic if they have to pull a hatch down?

if i go to the grocery store as soon as it starts chances are ill be fine, by that time the infestation wouldnt have spread there.

When you say take? do you mean in reference to the DIY tools? If so then i disagree, if zombies do get in and you dont have a gun then you have no chance. Hand to hand combat WILL result in a bite whereas if i swing a fire axe at it i stay away and kill the bugger at the same time. I also disagree about getting shot by anyone in uniform: do you not think that by the time the military or police get to me theyll be used to seeing people who have salvaged weapons to protect themselves? do you really think that the rest of the world that bunkers down wont have homemade or light weapons in case of a break in? Thats silly, im sure they'll even be broadcasts telling the public to grab something to hit a zombie with. Also, its not like im going to attack a soldier who comes to our aid and get shot that way; he/she will clearly say something or knock on the attic to show us their human before entering. We cant be expected to just let the zombies rup us apart.

Oh and please note the size of my grocery store isnt that of a Walmart, tesco etc. Its fairly small. I live in a pretty quiet community and the vast majority of people here are old, so im sure im easily capable of bulldosing through them to get the food i want.
Image Image Image
<<

Pbhead

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

Post Fri May 16, 2014 4:25 pm

Take as in 'steal'.

maybe that is not what you meant, but is what it sure sounded like.
"Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
<<

Hybrid

New Granger
New Granger

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat May 17, 2014 7:05 am

Well to be honest i didnt think about that when i typed it, lets just say that my plan is to "collect" those items, if i have to buy them, ill buy them. (:
Image Image Image
<<

ViruS

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon May 19, 2014 4:42 am

1. I don't watch TV.
2. I would go "meh" to zombie apocalypse, unless i can hear the neighbours panicking. By which I would just go back to my computer and play tremulous til my death. Or something like that.
ImageImageImage
| for 1.1
(when adding me, state your forum/tremulous username) | Games: Paladins, NS2, Reflex, Quake Live, War Thunder, Rise of Flight, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad
Non-Steam: BF3, Tremulous
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon May 19, 2014 3:07 pm

In order to properly plan for a zombie apocalypse, we must first know what kind of zombies we're talking about here. There are many kinds, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.
<<

Hybrid

New Granger
New Granger

General In-Game Name:

Post Mon May 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Type of zombie im referring to:

normal human strength
moans at prey at uses its hearing and sight as its means of hunting
cant sprint, but ones who arent mangled can jog/stagger quickly
not smart
doesnt get tired
the infection affects all mammals but most with it tend to die quickly
they linger non stop, looking for prey
one becomes a zombie about a minute after they die (and they have contracted the infection through a bite etc)
when one moans at its prey others head to towards the one that moans (like a sort of alarm)

they are a threat due to the sheer number of them, most streets are filled with them (maybe not realistic but neither is the entire thread)
Image Image Image
<<

The Vibrator

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue May 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Interesting idea Hybrid :)

Quick question though - when you say they aren't "Smart" what do you mean?
<<

MeatWad490

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Tue May 20, 2014 9:10 pm

You're always suppose to have a emergency ration supply and you don't live in a neighborhood without a gun. It makes sense preparing for even natural disasters, looters, or from the common burglar. The only challenge for me will be making my way into a two story house with all that I can carry. Making my way into that favorable home, I will immediately get to work on barricading windows and doors, fill up the bath tubs, anything that is a container with water before they are shut off, get all of the supplies up into the second floor ( or higher), then get to work destroying the stairs leading up to the higher floors.

But of course the definition of an apocalypse is different from outbreak meaning you'll be surviving in a land ruled by the undead. I would have already have my mentioned shelter hunkered down but I will have to make choice to keep on scavenging bringing home supplies and making my way to a new home. Obvious it's better to travel by day and carrying tools such a titanium crowbar, bolt cutters, flashlight, glow sticks, fire starting products such as a lighter, matches, or a piston, and a gun.

What I just mention though in my kit is more ideal for scavenging missions than for traveling. I would have to throw in food, water, first aid, rope, and spare clothing even a sheet to reducing dying from hyperthermia and such. If making a fire is necessary, try to make one under a "green" tree as the smoke travels through the branches making it far less visible to spot in the open air. Forget camping in the ground if you're on your own. If you find yourself with daylight dusking into night, find the high strong branch of a tree and tie yourself on it.

I can go on and on about this and yes I did take stuff I read from the Max Brooks book.
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting shall follow. But that parting needs not last forever. Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short while... that is up to you."
<<

Hybrid

New Granger
New Granger

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed May 21, 2014 6:58 am

@ MeatWad490:

Nice plan! Yeah i have too read one of Brooks' books: The Zombie survival guide, but in this thread i tried not to take much from it.

@ The Vibrator:

When i say they aren't smart i mean they exist as primitive creatures. They dont learn and all they really can do is hunt, and moan, and linger. The cannot do things that a normal person would find necessary if you get what i mean, for example; If they got their foot stuck under a boulder they wouldnt attempt to bite it of cut it off to get free; If there was an unlocked door that required you to turn a handle to get in they wouldnt turn the handle, they would just try to claw their way through.

^Hope that makes sense^
Image Image Image
<<

The Vibrator

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Thu May 22, 2014 1:14 am

Ok Hybrid thanks, that helps me with regards to what kind of defenses the zombies will fail/succeed getting through. :-)
<<

ViruS

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Fri May 23, 2014 8:21 am

ImageImageImage
| for 1.1
(when adding me, state your forum/tremulous username) | Games: Paladins, NS2, Reflex, Quake Live, War Thunder, Rise of Flight, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad
<<

maro_1

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat May 24, 2014 11:27 am

honestly? being i'm on a military base, and my aircraft would likely be used as a response vehicle i wouldn't get the chance to arm up, i'd be stuck working. i'd probably get a million shots of different types of vaccines in hopes of keeping us healthy. and once we started running low on first responders i'd probably be sent out to help with the fight against them.

so all in all i'm fucked

<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name:

Post Sat May 24, 2014 6:21 pm

I actually hypothesize that the CDC has a legitimate plan in response to a would-be zombie apocalypse.
<<

ViruS

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name:

Post Wed May 28, 2014 2:59 am

ImageImageImage
| for 1.1

Return to FAQ's and Howto's