Regarding hosting in the long term

<<

lae

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name: liliff

Post Thu May 07, 2015 1:16 am

Regarding hosting in the long term

This past week, I have been retiring my rental VMs and moving all my services/projects back to a dedicated server. However, to reduce administrative burden of the forum for and possible vectors of security breach to myself, Aaron has agreed to let me move the forum and associated website onto a shared host that I have used in the past, nearlyfreespeech.net. Basically, thanks to their payment model and my history with them, I can have this forum running probably forever without having to worry about migrations on the cheap.

That said, I've been pretty busy with work (left my office at 9pm today, even, and I work normal office hours now) and it seems that there will be some required reconfiguration and waiting to grab a hold of Aaron for DNS record updates, and I need to retire the current VM as soon as I can, so I can't quite schedule a proper maintenance window. When the move is being performed, expect the forum to go into read-only mode (so you'll be able to view posts, but not post, until maintenance is complete). This should be sometime this week, and I'll update this post prior to going read-only.
milk tea fuzz
lae@rizon/freenode
<<

ViruS

Core Clan Member
Core Clan Member

General In-Game Name: ViruS / ZdrytchX / FrisQuiLous

Post Thu May 07, 2015 7:03 am

Re: Regarding hosting in the long term

Thanks for the heads-up.
The URL (knightsofreason.net) along with all website data (like the KoRx mod files) will stay would it?
ImageImageImage GrangerHub - We have multi-protocol Servers!
Tremulous Handy Link Heaven | Install TremFusion for 1.1
Steam: ZdrytchX (when adding me, state your forum/tremulous username) | Games: Paladins, NS2, Reflex, Quake Live, War Thunder, Rise of Flight, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad
Non-Steam: BF3, Tremulous
<<

Metroidude

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

General In-Game Name: Metroidude

Post Sun May 10, 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks for the head's up.

I just wanted to let you and Aaron know that I really appreciate you both dedicating your valuable time (and money) to keeping this community alive. Y'all mean a lot to me, even though we're not around much any more.
<<

Rev

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

General In-Game Name: RevolutionMaster

Post Fri May 15, 2015 5:04 am

Hey Iku,

Does NearlyFreeSpeech support serving a website via HTTPS? Comodo and a few other providers have free CA-signed certs available, and I noticed that our auth is happening in plaintext...
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
<<

lae

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

Post Sat May 16, 2015 11:26 am

milk tea fuzz
lae@rizon/freenode
<<

lae

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:37 am

After almost a year of having announced this, I finally got around to doing so. The forum and site are now hosted on NFS.

The site will be proxying from the previous VPS for a short while until Aaron updates DNS - so the site may have higher latency than normal for the time being.

There are probably some remaining broken paths because this site was has quite a couple of them. If you notice anything missing or receive any errors, please let me know. The best method to contact me is via IRC (#knightsofreason on freenode, as usual) - second best is via email at systems @ lae。is (obviously, don't copy-paste this but use the correct symbols and no spaces). Also contact me if you'd like to donate for hosting costs/my support.

There were also lots of existing broken paths in the previous setup, so you can expect some things that weren't working previously to be working now. I wasn't able to locate KoRx downloads, though - must have gotten lost years ago.

The forum will also move to using SSL in the near future. Certificates were created but configuration has to be done manually by the host, it seems.
milk tea fuzz
lae@rizon/freenode
<<

lae

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:39 am

Instead of editing that post - I'll post separate updates.

・ KoRx downloads were located in a backup of mine. Not sure why those didn't get placed on the previous server.
・ One thing I didn't mention in the previous post was that there were broken permissions, which may still exist in some places. If you get a 403 or 404 (upper right corner), let me know.
・ phpBB updated to 3.0.14 (updating to 3.1 is more effort for not much reward)
milk tea fuzz
lae@rizon/freenode
<<

lae

Core Moderator
Core Moderator

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Site now defaults to HTTPS and is no longer proxying through a VPS. DNS glue records were updated to point to NFS's nameservers, which are a bit more dedicated and show more consistent performance.

Now that all that's done, I won't be checking the forums much if at all, so please keep that in mind when posting.
Last edited by lae on Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: forgot to mention things
milk tea fuzz
lae@rizon/freenode
<<

Robmanx

Core Administrator
Core Administrator

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:43 pm

Very nice

Return to News